Donor Advised Funds
A tax-smart, flexible way to support what matters to you
A donor advised fund, which is like a charitable savings account, gives you the flexibility to recommend how much and how often money is granted to the Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation and other causes that matter to you most.
You transfer cash or other assets to a tax-exempt sponsoring organization such as a public foundation. You can then recommend-but not direct-how much and how often money is granted. In addition, you avoid the cost and complexities of managing a private foundation.
In return, you qualify for a federal income tax charitable deduction at the time you contribute to the account. This also allows for a centralized giving and record-keeping system in one location.
Joe and Laura want to give back to the military community by putting their money where it will do the most good. They establish a $25,000 donor advised fund with a foundation.
The couple receives a federal income tax charitable deduction for the amount of the gift. They also get all the time they need to decide which charities to support.
After researching community needs with the foundation’s staff and expressing their desire to support organizations close to their hearts, Joe and Laura recommend grants for the Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation and the Semper Fi Fund. The foundation presents the charities with checks from the Daniel Fund, which Joe and Laura named in honor of their son, a Marine who was wounded in Afghanistan. Joe and Laura are delighted to start this personal legacy of giving.
- Evaluate a sponsoring organization to make sure it supports your interests, values and the type of asset you are considering as a funding source.
- Get to know the organization's policies and procedures-from minimum contributions to administrative fees. Each organization handles these details differently.
- Contact Lindsay Cameron at 571.386.2643 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss using donor advised funds to support the Scholarship Foundation and our mission.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal adviser.
- If you include the Scholarship Foundation in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation Inc.
Address: 909 N. Washington Street, Suite 400, Alexandria, VA 22314
Federal Tax ID Number: 22-1905062
Here to Help
Director, Gift Planning
Support What Matters
Learn more about donor advised funds. View and download the FREE guide One-Stop Giving: The Convenience and Simplicity of Donor Advised Funds.One-Stop Giving: The Convenience and Simplicity of Donor Advised Funds